Sunday, May 1, 2011

Usama bin Laden is dead

What a great way to start this web log than the news that Usama bin Laden is dead.  President Obama is announcing his death as I write, & despite my criticism of Obama in the past (& I'm sure in the future on other topics), I have to give him credit where credit is due.  He's now saying that we sent in troops to nail him, not a Predator strike.  That alone is a major step - Obama previously having said that no US troops would be used in strikes inside Pakistan.  I'm anxious to see how the story unfolds.

Update:  Nothing in the speech indicates a Churchillian attitude about continuing the struggle (such as “This is a war of the unknown warriors; but let us all strive without failing in faith or in duty . . . .”).  I'm concerned about calls to pack up our tents & go home.  We had to collect on this one, but it's far from over.

I was glad to hear him quote from the pledge of allegiance, including the phrase "under God".  Those words have been conspicuously absent in the past.  Aware of the approaching campaign season?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome and discussion is open and encouraged. I expect that there will be some occasional disagreement (heaven knows why) or welcome clarification and embellishment, and such are freely solicited.

Consider that all such comments are in the public domain and are expected to be polite, even while contentious. I will delete comments which are ad hominem, as well as those needlessly profane beyond the realm of sputtering incredulity in reaction to some inanity, unless attributed to a quote.

Links to other sources are fine so long as they further the argument or expand on the discussion. All such comments and links are the responsibility of the commenter, and the mere presence herein does not necessarily constitute my agreement.

I will also delete all comments that link to a commercial site.